The term is coming to a close, meaning that students everywhere are packing up and moving away for the summer. Although packing itself is no extraneous chore, it really made me think – WHY DO I HAVE SO MUCH STUFF?!
There could be many reasons for this – for example, I like to spend half of my student loan on useless items once the important things go out (fact: House of Fraser gets half of their gross income from me). However, a bigger reason for all of my clutter may be down to nearly two years ago, whereby the night before leaving Birmingham to go to Swansea, my Dad and I panic bought everything I thought I would need (which was an awful lot). Safe to say, I didn’t need most of it, but I still have it with me “just in case”.
Now, this blog is basically telling you to not think about the unnecessary “just in case”‘s, because there is a 99 out of 100% chance that you don’t need that professional frying pan when doing your eggs in the morning. Or 15 pillows, in case you somehow lose the other 14. Here are some of the items that you’ll actually need, instead of merely a want/just in case item:
For the Bedroom:
- Pillows (maximum 4, not 40)!
- Duvet or a blanket — but don’t bother yourself with both, as I found that University campus rooms are not sub-zero temperatures, ever
- Bedding (including mattress protectors, fitted sheets and duvet sets – which you should take about 2-3 pairs)
- Laundry bag/basket, you don’t want to drop your underwear on the journey to the washing machine…
- Extension lead – with all the technology available, two plugs are not gonna cut it!
- Clothes (enough to fit a suitcase and no more)
- Electricals — although I would just limit it to a laptop and a phone
- A few coat hangers, for your special/tailored items of clothing
For the Kitchen:
- Plates, bowls, cups and cutlery – need I say more?
- Pots, pans and tray, but keep it simple – frying pan, saucepan, baking/oven tray.
- Essential utensils, e.g. spatula, ladle, can opener
- Washing up items, such as sponges, steel wool and liquid, because you can’t leave it all to your other flatmates to take care of (at least not all year)
- Oven gloves
- Foil, cling film and storage boxes (because making food to eat another day is highly cost effective)
- Kettle and toaster – God forbid you don’t have toast and tea on hand!
For the Bathroom/En Suite:
- Towels – preferably a range of large to hand size (including flannels)
- Essential toiletries (e.g. toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo)
- Toilet Paper!
- Medication including painkillers and paracetamol, that Fresher’s Flu will most likely get you someway or another
For the lectures:
- Paper and pens
- Required Textbooks – your department’s description page should have the links to textbooks readily available
- A good, sturdy bag you won’t be able to fit lecture notes in a handbag!
I know I missed any sentimental or social items (i.e. a pack of cards, photos of your school/college friends), but that is up to you to take! But if you forget what you need, my list is sure to remind you promptly.
Until next time!x